Faith's Mom
A Mom's battle with breast cancer from a Dad's perpective

Chemotherapy Cycle 1

Sue’s first cycle of chemotherapy is done. It was on Friday 9/21, started at 9:00AM and ended a little after 3:00PM. Yup it’s scheduled to be 6 hours long. Why so long? Here is the series of medications she received:

• Normal saline ran all day. We are told she needs to keep hydrated to keep the toxins flushing.
  • Two antiemetic drugs. They are tasked with keeping the nausea and vomiting at bay.
  • The first chemotherapy drug was Adriamycin. An IV fluid that is actually red (scary from the start) it turns your urine red (quite quickly) and must be monitored by the IV nurse to make sure it is only going into your vein. It is very caustic and can cause serious tissue damage if it infiltrates your skin. The IV nurse actually sits there monitoring it and occasionally drawing back on the IV to make sure blood returns in the tube which is a positive indication it’s still in the vein.
  • The next chemotherapy drug was the cyclophosphamide. No special precautions except to run it slowly in steps to make sure there are no allergic reactions.
  • The last chemotherapy drug was Taxotere. This is another one that must be infused slowly (it took about two hours) and can also cause anaphylaxis so it’s started real slow and increased as the cycles progress.
  • Finally she had to wait for the liter (1000cc) of fluid that started at 9:00AM to finish

Almost 24 hours later she is doing fine. No vomiting, no appetite either. The biggest complaint right now is that her Diet Coke doesn’t taste the same. Dog tired would be a good estimate on how she is feeling.

The new do for the next few weeks

8 comments on Chemotherapy Cycle 1

1. JoAnne Moor Thomas on Facebook
    September 22, 2012 at 11:24 pm

Glad to hear that things went realtivly well. Give Sue my love and hugs!! Praying for all of you!!! Love you guys!!

2. Charlotte Sless on Facebook
    September 23, 2012 at 9:27 am

Most times you get sick 2 to 3 days after the treatment. Glad to hear all went well. I’m praying for all of you to get through this.

3. Mike Dries on Facebook
    September 23, 2012 at 9:37 am

Glad to hear things are off to a decent start. We’re thinking of you all and thinking positive thoughts.

4. Donna Cammalleri
    September 23, 2012 at 3:59 pm

I will keep you in my prayers and will proudly wear your name on my shirt during the Avon 39 mile walk for Breast Cancer. Stay Strong and positive you will win this fight.

5. Mary Ellen Moor Dries on Facebook
    September 23, 2012 at 5:48 pm

I’m glad to hear the first day went smoothly. I like the new hairdo. I pray every night that God will give you the strength to get through this. Love to all, but especially to you Sue <3

6. Doris Leavens
    October 3, 2012 at 12:07 am

My thoughts and prayers are with Sue and the whole family. I pray for a full recovery with little side effects. god bless you all !!!

7. Doreen Dittfield
    October 3, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Sue, Having just completed similar treatment for breast cancer I can’t stop thinking about you! I had surg. in Dec. chemo started in Jan. and radiation ended the end of July. Our stories seem very similar and I am happy to say I feel great! There certainly were some challanges during the treatment but nothing unbearable, just bumps in the road. It is hard to believe it is all past me now (with the exception of taking a pill everyday for the next 5 years) I want you to know I am a phone call away and would love to talk if you are up to it. I found talking to people that have been through it was very helpful. Draw strength from your support system. People are amazing! Please know I am praying for you.

Doreen